Nicknamed, “The Little Stone Church by the Stream,” the First Presbyterian Church of Georgetown was founded in 1869 by a peripatetic Presbyterian missionary named Sheldon Jackson who established churches in Fairplay and other mining towns. Since its dedication on September 20, 1874, the Church has operated continuously. Even during mining busts and the Great Depression, when Georgetown’s population dropped to 303, First Presbyterian kept its doors open and members sometimes gave coal in lieu of monetary offerings.
The Fellowship Hall and Sunday School building were later added to the rusticated stone church and stone planters were built to grace the walkway along side the Church to the annexed buildings. In 1971 a 400-pound bronze bell was finally hung in the bell tower. In 2005 with the help of a grant from the Colorado Historical Fund, the church was restored, its roof replaced, and the trim painted its original colors.
First Presbyterian Church of Georgetown has a long record of supporting Georgetown and Clear Creek County. In the 19th century, the Little Willing Workers Society, made up of young girls, patched quilts to raise money for good works. That spirit of dedication remains today with the Church’s support of many organizations such as Loaves and Fishes – which donates food to needy families – and Warm Hearts, Warm Babies – a group of women who make layettes and blankets for newborns.